What are the characteristics of a meticulous personality? What are the traits you see in people that are meticulous?
People that are meticulous are know to have a healthy way of approaching perfection. In taht case we are looking at traits that are quite close to that of a perfectionist.
That said, we will look into these behaviors to better understand them.
Traits of a meticulous personality
To help you find out, here are 11 most common signs seen in meticulous people:
- You leave no room for error . As soon as you notice an error, you feel compelled to correct it immediately.
- You have a very specific way of doing things . A lot of times people don’t understand why you are so stuck on your way. Until something is out of place or in line with your approach, it will not be acceptable to you. This is why it is very difficult for you to find the right people to work with; just like others also find it difficult to work with you.
- You have an all or nothing approach . Either you are doing everything right, or you are doing nothing at all. There is no in between.
- Only the end result counts . You don’t care about the process, or how much it costs you to reach your goal. You just want to make sure that the desired result is achieved, otherwise you will feel frustrated, helpless.
- You are extremely hard on yourself . As soon as something goes wrong, you instantly blame yourself. It doesn’t matter if it’s not your fault or if it’s just a detail, you dwell on your mistake for very long periods of time.
- You get depressed when you don’t reach your goals . You often think back to your goals that did not yield the desired results. You keep asking yourself: “What if I did X or Y?”. Worse still, you think it must be all your fault if you do not achieve that ideal that you have set for yourself.
- You have extremely high standards . Whatever you plan to do, you set the bar very high. Sometimes the targets you are trying to hit stress you over and over again. You even risk burnout just to hit them. At some point, these high standards even prevent you from achieving your goals, for fear of not being able to achieve them properly.
- Success is never big enough . Whatever you do, there are always other heights to reach. If you pass X, you want 2X. Even if you hit 2X, you want 5X. Beyond this quest for continuous improvement, you are not happy if you are not looking to achieve bigger goals. You rarely settle for the status quo and you continue to always want more and better.
- You procrastinate just to do something “at the right time” . You are constantly waiting for that “right time” to work on your goals. You don’t want to start until you are “ready” to give your best. However, sometimes that moment never comes. So, you are perpetually waiting to achieve this thing in question.
- You constantly notice mistakes that others don’t seem to see . While that just means you pay attention to detail, people with meticulous personality can spot the needle in the haystack two miles away. Sometimes these mistakes are real. Other times, they are just imaginary.
- You spend countless hours perfecting something . Perfection is the end goal. It is not uncommon for you to sacrifice your sleep, your free time, your well-being, just to raise the quality of your work to the top. For you, this is all part of the goal.